Saturday, September 13, 2008

BYU or Bust!

We pulled off a great surprise for Kennedy's birthday this year!  Since she is turning 13 and entering the "teen" years we thought we better do something special.  So we came up with a super plan and I think she really was dazzled!  We secretly packed a suitcase for her and told her Dan was taking her to a football game today.  She just didn't know it was in Provo, Utah to see BYU vs. UCLA!!!  When they showed up at the airport she started asking questions so Dan had her call me and I told her the game plan!  She was so excited!  They flew into Salt Lake and Dan started telling her all sorts of stories of when he lived there all the way to Provo.  They spent an hour or so in the BYU bookstore finding fun treasures for her and the kids (like chocolate covered cinnamon bears) and then they were off to tour the campus!  Dan had a blast telling all about the school and then they headed down to the stadium for the game!  They had so much fun and those memories will last forever!  Dan even took her to Burger Supreme (his fave place to eat)!  The last that I talked to them they both sounded tired and happy.  
What a fun birthday memory and one great Daddy!

12 comments:

jksfam said...

Can they even talk after cheering so much?

Meredith Haag said...

Oh Todd is so jealous!!! He loves BYU almost as much as he loves me! Well.....sometimes, especially at this time of year I think it's a toss up!

The Knight Family said...

I can't believe Kennedy is turning 13, it just doesn't seem that long since you had her! Kurt and I have a few stories of Dan at BYU if Kennedy is interested.........

Anonymous said...

What a fun surprise!

Tyler and Ashley Mortensen said...

That is quite the birthday present. Good work Dan. I'm sure you guys know this but Kristy's husband is BYU's starting defensive end, Brett Denney. We're hoping for a Fiesta Bowl party down in Arizona in January. Congrats on the new addition by the way. Hope everything is good.

Tyler

Jackie said...

BYU: 59
UCLA: 0

If Kennedy ever considers going to UCLA, it should be easy to talk her out of it.

What a fun day! I'd give a limb to have some chocolate covered cinnamon bears. Good ol' Provo...

Johnston Gang said...

oh my gosh could kennedy have a cooler dad? i wanna go! there's nothing more fun than a college football game! can't believe she's 13.....gosh i need to visit!
kate

CYD said...

Um, for my 13th I think we did cake. Wow-it sounds like you had the best time ever!!! Fun times...

Kelsy said...

Ah I wish I could have been there to see them. That is so awesome! She must have been the charm for the stunning win! Happy birthday Kennedy!

Kandis said...

Wow! That's quite the deluxe birthday, can Dan come surprise me with football tickets and free flights to BYU!!! Happy Birthday Kennedy, your trip sounded awesome!

Gomez said...

WOW what super COOL parents! I can't believe that Kennedy is 13....holy crap!

alli coleman said...

I love this! What an incredible birthday surprise. Everyone loves ya, Kennedy!! :)